Volunteer Nelson offers a wide range of services to the Nelson Tasman community:
• Volunteer referral service – promotion and matching volunteers to opportunities in local not-for-profit groups and organisations
• Support for volunteering – training, information, advice, events that celebrate volunteers
• Strengthening community organisations – low cost training, confidential mentoring service for staff and board/committee members
• Information sharing and networking – regular Community News and Views e-newsletters, events information, support for Community & Whanau network and meetings
• Volunteer Nelson also administers the Nelson Newcomers Network and the Found Directory
Volunteer Nelson complies with the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993 (the Act) when dealing with personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person).
This policy sets out how we will collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information.
This policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act. If you wish to seek further information on the Act, see www.privacy.org.nz.
What information we hold about you
We will hold names, emails, phone numbers, addresses, and optionally ethnicity, age, interests.
For some volunteer programmes we are required to collect additional information, which may include dates of birth, next of kin, school and medical history.
When do we collect information
We collect personal information about you from:
• you, when you provide that personal information to us, including via the website and any related service, through any registration or subscription process, through any contact with us (e.g. telephone call or email), or when you use our services
• third parties where you have authorised this or the information is publicly available.
Where possible, we will collect personal information from you directly.
How we use your information
We will use the information to:
• to provide services to you
• to market our services to you, including contacting you electronically (e.g. by text or email for this purpose)
• to improve the services that we provide to you
• to respond to communications from you
• to conduct research and statistical analysis
• to undertake Police checks of volunteers (in particular circumstances)
Keeping your information secure
We will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse.
How we share your information
We do not share information except under certain conditions. We will never sell information we have collected.
Limited information on local not-for-profit groups and organisations looking for volunteers will be shared with volunteers seeking opportunities. This will be contact details.
Contact information held on organisations within the Found Directory will be shared with website visitors wanting to find out about the organisation. The Found directory is administered by Volunteer Nelson but owned by Nelson City Council and Tasman District Council. As owners they have the right to request information stored in the Found Directory.
Volunteer Nelson has an obligation to provide participant information on its Ministry of Social Development volunteer programmes in accountability reports.
How long will we keep your information
We will keep any website activity information for 14 months.
Information provided when you subscribe to a service will normally be held until you decide that you no longer wish to receive the service. Newcomers network member details are kept for 2 (two) years. Any Police vetting request information is kept for 12 months then destroyed, although we keep a record of vetting expiry.
Subject to certain grounds for refusal set out in the Act, you have the right to access your readily retrievable personal information that we hold and to request a correction to your personal information. Before you exercise this right, we will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates.
In respect of a request for correction, if we think the correction is reasonable and we are reasonably able to change the personal information, we will make the correction. If we do not make the correction, we will take reasonable steps to note on the personal information that you requested the correction.
If you want to exercise either of the above rights, email us at [email protected], providing details of who you are and setting out the details of your request (e.g. the personal information, or the correction, that you are requesting).
For any of the mailing services, each email has an “Unsubscribe” facility. If you wish to unsubscribe from the referral service you can do this by contacting [email protected].
Acceptance of this policy
By using our services you will be deemed to have accepted this Policy.
Changes to this policy
We may change this policy by uploading a revised policy onto the website. The change will apply from the date that we upload the revised policy.
Any questions on this policy should be addressed to [email protected].