skip to Main Content
CALL NOW! 03 546 7681

Civil Defence Payments

Civil Defence Payments are available through the Ministry of Social Development for people who have been affected by the floods and slips in Nelson, Tasman and Marlborough.  You don’t have to be on a benefit to qualify for a Civil Defence Payment.  In most cases it doesn’t matter what your income is or what assets you have.

hese can help with:

*   Emergency food, clothing and bedding if yours has been damaged or destroyed.
*   Accommodation costs if you have been evacuated and are staying in accommodation such as a motel, hotel or temporary rental accommodation.
*   Loss of income due to an inability to work caused by the flooding.
*   Payment if you have evacuees staying with you in places such as a private home, marae or community centres.

Assessments are made face-to-face at our service centres wherever possible.  In most cases, payments are available within 24 hours.

For more information on the payments:  Civil Defence Payment – Work and Income<>

Call Work and Income on 0800 559 009 for more information from Monday – Friday, 7am – 6pm, or visit one of our service centres.  Our team is also at the iSite information hub – they can’t process payments there but can provide information.

Other financial support from Work and Income
There are lots of ways Work and Income may be able to help if you’ve been directly affected by the floods and slips in Nelson, Tasman and Marlborough, and we can point you in the right direction based on your situation.  You don’t have to be on a benefit.

In emergencies, Work and Income can help with costs if you don’t have any other way of paying.
We can help with:

*        medical costs

*        bedding

*        food

*        power bills

*        repairs or replacing appliances

*        emergency accommodation costs

*        loss of income because you can’t work.

Work and Income also provides other help such as benefits and housing assistance. Everyone’s situation is different, so what you qualify for will depend on your situation.
You may have to pay the money back depending on your situation.

Call on 0800 559 009 Monday – Friday,7am – 6pm.

Back To Top