The Beneficiaries and Unwaged Workers Trust (BUWT) AGM will be held at 12pm on Thursday 27th September at the BUWT Offices (Rutherford Mews, off Selwyn Place). BUWT provide free advocacy services to Work and Income clients in the Nelson and Tasman regions. Contact BUWT Secretary Rachel Boyack, 021 722 013.
At the CAN forum, speaker Peeni Henare mentioned the Prime Minister’s vision of a country where everyone is “earning, learning, caring or volunteering”, & stressed that it was important to support youth volunteering. One way to do this is by supporting Collaborate: https://www.letscollaborate.co.nz/
Yes, there is already a really good way to support youth volunteering, by supporting Collaborate:
What is Collaborate?
It’s a phone & web-app to connect volunteers with organisations who need them.
It allows people to match their skills and interests with available volunteering opportunities & timeframes.
It was created by 4 young women, 3 originally from Nelson, who are now based in Wellington.
Collaborate can be used by people anywhere, but they will be promoting it in Nelson / Tasman area in the next few months.
How can you support youth volunteering?
Here’s some ideas:
- Check out their website: https://www.letscollaborate.co.nz/
- Register with Collaborate if you need volunteers now, or even if you just might need some in future.
- Like or follow Collaborate on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollaborateapp/
- Don’t stop there! Be proactive in liking, sharing & commenting on their posts. (Facebook brings posts that have more activity to the top of the feed.)
- Think about what opportunities YOUR organisation could offer youth volunteers – remember the great thing about Collaborate is it can accommodate any sorts of volunteering schedules, from one-off to ongoing, regular or casual, and all types of skills.
- When a person contacts you offering to volunteer, make sure you REPLY to their offer, even if you don’t need help at the time.
Article type: News and information
Contact Name: Rosey
Contact Phone: 035482798
Contact Email: [email protected]